Content

Thursday, January 1, 2015

More Markets, the Merrier

Happy New Year! It's now 2015, and thankfully I just have two Christmas-themed posts left before I move on to post-Christmas happenings.

I decided the Christmas markets in Spandau, Dresden, and Kurfürstendamm weren't enough, so I made sure to hit two more before the season was up! First up was Potsdamer Platz.


Sony Center, which plays host to countless film premiers and the Berlin Film Festival, all lit up



Greek friends

Also at the Sony Center: we by chance got to witness what turned out to be "the mysterious Elf Stella" dance around to Christmas-y music and wave around her wand, cuing different lighting effects

I forgot what it's called, but I saw an advertisement for this somewhere. Basically you pay dearly to dangle off the side of a skyscraper and kind of run vertically along it, all while facing down towards the ground


I've posted numerous times about this square. As a reminder, this is the German Cathedral and was built in 1708

Not pictured: The mediocre a-cappella group we watched for at least 30  minutes just because we found them amusing. The Germans LOVED them though. They sang such holiday classics as "Somebody I Used to Know," "Beat It," and "I Want it That Way"


The next week: the market in front of the Charlottenburg Palace, which of course I have already visited
New German friends are always good developments!

These markets clear out super fast when it's closing time



One can never see enough Christmas markets. That's why I saw another one in Prague, and went back to the one Dresden one more time! Pictures, naturally, to come.

Now that my trips to Prague and Munich are complete, it's time to round off this whirlwind of a Christmas break with a trip to Lithuania for a couple days! Based on my research it seems like a great city and country. Until my return, Auf Wiedersehen!

Upcoming Posts

New York
New York (Round 2)
Central California
Northern California
New York (Round 3)
Boston
Australia
Mammoth Lakes
Scandinavia
Iceland
Vancouver
Costa Rica
Banff