Content

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Dusseldorf (Sucks)

In my last 2 weeks in Cologne, I visited Dusseldorf twice - once with my friends on a Saturday, and once with my German class on a field trip. But as a Cologne resident, and given that there is a fairly serious rivalry between the two cities, I am obligated to not like Dusseldorf and everyone who comes from there. Since I've been told I'm an overly competitive person, I'll go ahead and embrace that and say - Dusseldorf sucks!

Actually, we had a hard time disliking Dusseldorf. It is certainly smaller than Cologne but has more green space, rich people, exclusive shops, and super nice cars. But it doesn't have a Cologne Cathedral! My friends would disagree, but I think Cologne is still the better city. But don't take my word for it - here are some photos!


First stop - the late Baroque St. Andreas Church, built in 1629





Art




The Königsallee is an upscale shopping street along which this nice canal runs. When King Friedrich Wilhelm IV was pelted with horse droppings on the boulevard during political unrest in 1848, the street was renamed from Kastanienallee to Königsallee (King's Avenue) to soothe him




The Rheinturm is easily Dusseldorf's tallest building. You can climb up this TV tower to get a view of the city, but you can't climb up Cologne's TV tower to get a similar experience... come on Cologne, get on it

We tracked down some work from my favorite architect, Frank Gehry!




Couldn't resist





I literally photographed this building for 35 minutes while my friends drank coffee







I'm aware I have a problem

Looking towards the old town


Here we're sampling Altbier, which is Dusseldorf's main brew. That means Altbier is Kölsch's mortal enemy. But we kind of like Altbier a little bit better. I feel like a traitor

Uerige is of the main Dusseldorf breweries and was founded in the 1800s

The city hall dates back to the 16th century




Now inside the St. Lambertus Church, which was built in the 14th century



Its tower is twisted because it was built with wet wood. But a legend states that once a non-virgin married in the church, the church twisted its tower in shame 

Those lights on the tower indicate what time it is

Uerige brewery

After a dinner at a subpar Mexican restaurant (I have simply accepted that Mexican food will for the most part just not be a part of my diet for the rest of the year), it was time to head back to good old Cologne. I don't regret traveling to Dusseldorf, because you know what they say - Know Thine Enemy. Viva Cologne! 


Upcoming Posts

New York
New York (Round 2)
Central California
Northern California
New York (Round 3)
Boston
Australia
Mammoth Lakes
Scandinavia
Iceland
Vancouver
Costa Rica
Banff